Guidelines on Pregnancy: Reasons to Consider Getting an Ultrasound
There is no other joy as comparable as to that of a first-time parent rejoicing over a new family member. Imagine being able to see your lovechild in your womb and knowing its gender! Ultrasound screening has been used for medicinal and surgery uses, but it is widely known to help expectant mothers to check their unborn child for the prevention of any prenatal aberrations or birth defects. At times, ultrasounds are also used to help ease the actual birth of the mother by discovering the position of the fetus and trying to fix it the right way around. If you are an expectant mother living in Australia, this article helps you decide whether to get an ultrasound at any Puyallup WA ultrasound clinic in your locality or not by exploring the benefits to consider scheduling an appointment:
Ultrasound History and Basics
During pregnancy, ultrasound is a procedure done to view the fetus inside the womb. However, this is not the first time an ultrasound was useful. Did you know that the ultrasound was developed way back in the First World War to help underwater navigation for submarine ships? Also, another type of ultrasound was utilized by physical therapists in the 1940s to reduce inflammation of muscles, to increase blood circulation, and make scars heal faster. Fetal imaging in pregnancy was first using x-rays – but in the 1960s it was later changed to a less-intrusive alternative which is ultrasound. Nowadays, there have been new innovations discovered by medical practitioners on improving fetal imaging and making it safe and accessible to every woman.
The Technicalities of Ultrasound
Ultra-high frequency sound waves are used in a sonography or ultrasound. These sound waves help generate an image of the fetus in a woman’s womb without any intrusive efforts. At millions of cycles per second, these sound waves are transmitted to the surface of the abdomen of the pregnant woman using a transducer and some special gel. Compared to the earlier versions of an ultrasound, the modern ones of today in obstetrics are much more intensified, hence producing clearer pictures for more accurate diagnosis. Listed below are some of the most common types of ultrasound scans available today:
- Standard ultrasound scan
- Doppler ultrasound scan
- Transvaginal ultrasound scan
- Fetal Echocardiography
- Fetal monitors
- 3D and 4D ultrasound
Top Beneficial Reasons to Consider Getting an Ultrasound Scan
- Detect any aberrations in your unborn child
- Prevent any birth defects
- Calculate date of expectancy
- Make accurate measurements on the infant’s faculties such as its crown-rump length, skull, femur, among others
- Check the growth and development of internal organs and limbs
- Inspecting whether the breech presentation and fetal position is ideal for a smooth birth process
- See your child up close
Careful Considerations on Getting an Ultrasound Scan
- In the modern world, ultrasounds are rid of any negative presumptions about how it might affect the unborn child’s health. And you will have to undergo more than two ultrasounds in the cycle of your pregnancy. However, you should still be careful and avoid unnecessary scans that are not vital and recommended by your obstetrician.
- Check if the 4D or 3D ultrasound pricing is within your budget range to avoid unnecessary stress over finances.
- Make sure to trust only a reliable ultrasonography technician experienced enough to handle your delicate case.
- Published On : 4 months ago on July 16, 2017
- Author By : Elijah Wagner
- Last Updated : July 16, 2017 @ 10:39 pm
- In The Categories Of : Healthcare